Mandatory use of masks: when to use them and everything we know so farWe have updated the article to contemplate the mandatory use of masks in closed spaces and public roads, which has been regulated in Order SND / 422/2020.
Government and Autonomous Communities have agreed in the Interterritorial Council of the National Health System to expand the use of masks. According to the Ministry of Health, masks will be compulsory in public transport, closed spaces and on public roads in the event that the two meters distance cannot be guaranteed.
Although no further details were given at first, in Order SND / 422/2020, recently published in the Official State Gazette, the cases and exceptions have been broken down. Next we will review everything we know about the mandatory use of masks.
A review of the mandatory use of masks
After the new Order SND / 422/2020, the use of masks becomes mandatory in public and private transport, closed places and public roads as long as the two-meter safety distance cannot be guaranteed. We will start by talking about transportation. For this we have to refer to Order TMA / 400/2020, of May 9, which in its first provision modifies Order TMA / 384/2020, of May 3:
- Motorcycles, mopeds and category L vehicles in general with two homologated seats: two people can travel as long as they wear an integral helmet with a visor, wear a mask or reside at the same address.
- Private vehicles with up to nine seats (all occupants reside at the same address): all seats can be occupied and the use of masks is not mandatory.
- Private vehicles of up to nine seats (the occupants reside in different addresses): two people per row can travel, including that of the driver. The use of masks is mandatory and the maximum possible distance must be respected.
- Public transport in vehicles with up to nine seats: two people per row can travel without including the driver's. The use of masks is mandatory and the maximum possible distance between occupants must be ensured. In the event that all users live at the same address, three people may go in each row of seats compared to that of the driver.
- Vehicles with a single row of seats: maximum two people, provided they wear face masks and keep the maximum possible distance.
- Bus and trains (all passengers seated): the operator has to limit the total occupation of the seats, so that there is always an adjoining empty seat that separates the passengers, unless the passengers live in the same address. The previous row of the conductor must be empty. The use of masks is mandatory.
- Bus and trains (seated and standing passengers): it will be ensured that people maintain the maximum distance from each other. Only half of the seats can be occupied and there can only be two travelers for each square meter in the standing area. The use of masks is mandatory.
- Passengers of ships and boats: compulsory use of masks except when they are inside the cabin.
Having seen this, we are going to review the new measures approved by the Government and published in the BOE regarding the mandatory use of masks in closed spaces and on the street. These will be compulsory for all persons of six years or more and recommended for children between three and five years of age. There are four exceptions and they are as follows:
- People who present some type of respiratory difficulty that can be aggravated by the use of a mask.
- People in whom the use of a mask is contraindicated for duly justified health reasons, or who, due to their situation of disability or dependency, present behavioral changes that make their use unfeasible.
- Development of activities in which, by their very nature, the use of the mask is incompatible, such as eating or drinking.
- Cause of force majeure or need situation.
Regarding the spaces in which the rule is applied, the Order explains that "it will be compulsory on public roads, in open air spaces and in any closed space for public use or that is open to the public, provided that it is not an interpersonal safety distance of at least two meters is possible. "
What masks should I use? The Order refers to "any type of mask" that covers the nose and mouth, although "preferably hygienic and surgical".
This Order will take effect tomorrow **. It will be in force during the entire state of alarm and its possible extensions. Be that as it may, there are still some questions to be answered, such as how the two-meter distance on the street will be controlled.
Fernando Simón, Director of the Coordination Center for Health Alerts and Emergencies of the Ministry of Health.
The truth is that the Government's position regarding the use of masks has changed quite a bit over these months. On February 26, Fernando Simón said that "there is no sense that the population is concerned about whether or not they have masks at home." On March 18, Health said that "the healthy general population does not need to wear masks."
At the end of April, the Ministry of Health assured that the use of hygienic masks in the general population in some circumstances could contribute to the reduction of transmission of the virus. "Then the speech went on to say that they are" highly recommended "and now they are happening. to be mandatory in closed spaces, public transport and on the street when social distance cannot be maintained. In fact, the following can be read in the new Order:
"The widespread use of masks by the general population to reduce community transmission of SARS-CoV2 is justified not only by its high transmissibility, but also by the ability of masks to block the emission of infected drops, very important when it is not possible to maintain the safety distance. "
The criteria of the World Health Organization has not changed so far. On its official website you can continue reading that "if you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are caring for someone suspected of having the 2019-nCoV infection" and that "the masks are only effective if combined with frequent washing hands with a hydroalcoholic solution or soap and water. "
Be careful, from tomorrow the mandatory use of masks in Spain comes into force More details, exceptions and penalties in the link of our bio httpswww.xataka.comp224143 How about Follow us @xataka --- #mascarillas #xataka #coronavirus #descalada #estevirusloparamostodos # covid19 #normativa #state of alarm
Image | Pexels